Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Importance Of Clean Makeup Brushes

Welcome back! First I just want to let you all know I am alive. Incase any of you were worried. Second, I am sorry to have missed thursday's hair post. Third, life has moved on and so shall we!

A lot of people who use makeup brushes do not clean them, and don't know how dirty they get. It is very important to clean makeup brushes after usage. Why? you might ask. Because your face dirt could be all over them, colors get mixed, and if you use them on other people, you could cause them to breakout.

I will be honest, I do not clean my makeup brushes after every time I use them on myself. But, if I am doing someone else's makeup, I make sure to clean them before and after. It is a definite priority. 


I am a very cheap person, I have never bought makeup brush cleaner. I have always made my own or just use soap and water. I have found soap and water to be the best makeup brush cleaner. My methods are listed below:

  • Bar soap and water
  • Baby shampoo or regular shampoo and water (I like the smell of baby shampoo a lot!) 
  • Dawn dish soap, vinegar, and water
When washing/cleansing your makeup brushes:
  • Wipe the brush on the palm of your hand, do not squeeze the makeup water out of the brush. 
  • Let dry completely on towel, do not try to manually dry the brushes. 
  • You don't need forever to clean your brushes. It should take you 15-20 minutes.
Even if you don't want to be a makeup artist when you grow up, it is important to clean your makeup brushes. I recommend cleaning them every three weeks. You could go a month depending on how much makeup you wear. 

I really hope this helped you all with your makeup brushes. Remember that they are just as important as the makeup! 

XO AnnaD