Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Advanced 2016 Recap

I'm back from DNow at Rebecca's youth group! I actually got back on Sunday, but I didn't post then or yesterday because I was resting and trying to recover from the long weekend. Though the weekend was a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed everything we did, I literally got seven hours of sleep out of the whole weekend. Confession: I survived off of sugar and caffeine. Ugh.

I let you all know Friday night what we did then, but that was just the beginning of the amazing weekend! Saturday was the core of DNow, and everything was packed into that day.

On Saturday we met at Redemption and had a worship session. After the session, we went into what  they called "Breakout Sessions." The Breakout Sessions were led by the different youth pastors from the youth groups that joined us. All the sessions had a different topic, for instance: "Advancing His Kingdom Through Sports, Sharing The Gospel in a Media Driven World, Making the Most of Your Relationships. These are just some of the options that were available, in total there were nine (not counting the other one that was guys only). We could only choose two Breakout Sessions.

A couple of friends and I went to a session called "Reaching Your School Beyond Your Bible Club." The irony of this situation was that we actually are home schooled, and we don't have a "school bible club." I was hesitating this session and was hoping to go to a different one, but it actually turned out to be good. The speaker, Brent Rawson had very practical points that applied to regular life besides Bible Club at School.

The second session I went to was "Making the Most Out of Your Relationships," it was led by Jeremy Montgomery. This session was announced on stage as "Girls Only." My friends and I went to this class supposing so. But when we got there, boys were in the room! They told us before they started that it was a mistake. Obviously, we were super confused, but we decided not to leave.

When we originally picked the session, we were guessing it would be about relationships with boys. Although part of it was, the majority of the time was spent on asking questions about the relationships we have, and why we have them. I actually appreciated this session rather than the first. I felt like the things said applied to me much better in this class and I already see myself thinking about and applying the things Jeremy mentioned. Maybe I'll share some of the things we went over.

After the Breakout Sessions, we ate our lunch of Chick-fil-a (yum!), and had an hour for some free time.

When our hour was up, we proceeded onto our mission projects. The eighth grade girls' mission project was to go to a high school and pick up the trash on the campus. We actually only spent about an hour there, and our mission projects were to last about three hours. Because of this, the group ended up going over to help the seventh grade girls finish raking the front of an elementary school. Both projects were a lot of fun!

We had another meal, another hour or so of free time, and then went to our last worship session. After that we went back to our host homes and hung out.

On Sunday morning we went to church at Redemption, and then our parents picked us up. The weekend was a great time even though I was incredibly tired!

Shoutout to Rebecca Sawyer for convincing me to come with her! Love ya girl, I had so much fun with you and all of the other girls we hung out with!

XO AnnaD